Ponte Vecchio
The Ponte Vecchio is Florence's oldest surviving bridge, rebuilt in its current form in 1345 after flood damage to earlier versions, and famous for the shops built directly into its structure along both sides. It's lined almost entirely with jewelers and goldsmiths today, a trade that dates back to the 16th century when the Medici moved out butchers and tanners in favor of more refined merchants.
Above the shops runs the Vasari Corridor, an elevated private passage built for the Medici to move between the Palazzo Vecchio and Pitti Palace without descending into the street; it has periodically opened to the public for tours.
The bridge was the only one in Florence spared deliberate destruction by retreating German forces in WWII, reportedly on Hitler's direct order, making it one of the few structures in the city with that specific historical footnote.
Ponte Vecchio FAQs
It's been a tradition since medieval times; the Medici later mandated only jewelers and goldsmiths operate there, replacing earlier butcher and tanner shops.
Yes, it's a public bridge, free to cross at any time.
An elevated private passageway built for the Medici family above the bridge's shops, occasionally open for guided tours.
Retreating German forces destroyed Florence's other bridges in 1944 but reportedly spared this one, sparing its historic and artistic value.
The bridges just up and downstream (like Ponte Santa Trinita) often give a better view of the Ponte Vecchio itself at sunset than standing on it.
Reviews/Comments
No comments yet — be the first.