Wanderyn
Luostarinmäki
Photo: Wikimedia Commons
poi · FI

Luostarinmäki

Getting around: In central Turku, an easy walk from the Aura riverfront.
Hours: Typically open daily in summer, roughly 10:00-18:00; reduced or closed access outside the summer season — check current dates.

Luostarinmaki is an open-air museum of original wooden craftsmen's houses, one of the few parts of Turku to survive the devastating 1827 fire that destroyed most of the city, now preserved as a working craft village with artisans demonstrating traditional trades in the original buildings. Unlike relocated open-air museums elsewhere in Finland, these buildings stand on their original site.

It gives a rare, tangible sense of what pre-fire Turku actually looked like, and the active craft demonstrations add life beyond a static building collection.

Luostarinmäki FAQs

Are the buildings original to the site?

Yes, unlike many open-air museums, these buildings stand on their original location, having survived Turku's 1827 fire.

Is it open year-round?

Full access is typically seasonal, mainly summer — check current dates.

Are there craft demonstrations?

Yes, artisans demonstrate traditional trades in the historic workshops.

How long does a visit take?

About 1-1.5 hours.

Is it central?

Yes, an easy walk from the Aura riverfront.

Your travel graph

Ready to plan Luostarinmäki?Planning a trip soon? Add it to build an itinerary.

Reviews/Comments

No comments yet — be the first.